asssimilation



Reading Benetha’s confident proclamation about assimilation really reminded me of how I have been assimilated. I can speak and understand some Chinese, but I cannot read it at all. I am not up to date on any Chinese news and I barely have any knowledge of Chinese history or culture. My parents did their best; we only speak Chinese at home, but that’s not enough for me to be fluent in Chinese. I don’t know any Chinese traditions except to eat noodles on a birthday, and I never know the dates of Chinese holidays. When I get married and have kids, they won’t be able to speak Chinese. They won’t know of the Mid-Autumn Festival or the Spring Festival. They’ll simply have a vague recollection of Chinese New Year, and even that isn’t certain. I would have to search for the dates every year. I can’t make any Chinese food. I don’t know how to make zongzi or baoji or jiazi at all, and even if I learned, it wouldn’t be authentic like my parents’. Thinking of the future, I can only see myself losing my cultural identity. I do really care about China and I am proud to be Chinese, but I do not feel the same patriotism that my parents feel for China. I don’t cheer when they win an Olympic medal or defend them against controversy. All of my relatives live in China, and I feel a huge disconnect between us. A cultural gap. I still love my relatives and miss them, but I don’t understand them. I have never talked to my cousin and I don’t really know anything about his life unless my parents update me, but I want to know. I want to learn about how my grandparents met and how my baby cousin is doing in school. I want to help my cousin who’s in Australia going to college. I want to listen to the stories of the Cultural Revolution and how my grandparents survived them. But, I can’t.

jiao zi (dumplings)

baozi (steamed buns)
                                                 
zongzi (sticky rice? i think)

Comments

  1. I totally relate to your fears and concerns over your loss of ethnic culture. Assimilation is so common that it becomes almost natural, and to preserve culture takes effort! In class we talked about naturalization and how in our lives it really just "feels natural." But Ms. Valentino explained that overcoming this racist explanation takes effort. This struck me because to understand and meet other cultures from what we're used to requires more than just what's "natural."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Megan, this is a very relatable blog post. I sometimes feel the same way with my Syrian history. I'd like to learn about it and stuff but I am busy and it feels like my life is just a lot different than my parents'. We have different values, different interests, and most importantly (for me) different musical tastes. I don't really make an effort to connect with my Syrian side that much because, and I know this sounds terrible, I don't care enough to do so. I would like to learn about it but I am not really willing to put that much effort into it.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

An Analysis of A Diss Track

POV of For Free? (Interlude)

How do relationships with parents shape their children’s personality?