An Analysis of A Diss Track

While opening Schoology this morning, I happened upon a notification. Nathen Kovacs had responded to the Blog Post #5 Discussion. I was immediately intrigued at the title, "Some Epic Rap Diss Lyrics (And On My Sachin Response). It was at this moment when I knew I had to write an analysis on Nate's fire bars on Sachin. I myself, am a Sachin hater. I have known him for over four years, but I felt each one of the diss tracks he dropped was weak. But I have hope for Nate. Below, I will take apart some of the bars.

"Flexin’ and I gonna pull up

All with my dogs and you just a pup"

This is a bar if I have ever seen one. I love this imagery of Sachin the little pup facing off against Nate and his squad of dogs. A suggestion I would make is to permeate this dog imagery throughout the album, put in something like “You go sniffing around for tough bars and sounds, Yet what you come up with is fit for the pound”


Last time I checked you couldn’t push up 

You a lil boy, I’m a grown up 

Rhyming up three times Nate….this is kind of weak….


I didn’t know that you would conspire

And still your song was anything but fire

I think this bar has the potential to pop off, perhaps if you could some more words that rhyme with conspire? It’s an interesting rhyme especially since it’s three syllables, so rhyming it sounds a lot more pleasing than one syllable rhymes.


We were truck boys I thought we were brothers

Riding around, respecting our mothers

This is indeed true, you and Sachin do respect your mothers, as you should.


But then you thought that you were tougher

And woke up a beast right from his slumber

This would be a perfect place to continue that dog imagery from before, perhaps saying something like “And woke up like a poodle right from his slumber” I think calling Sachin a beast is kind of a compliment here, so bring it back to woof woof time.


I’m really really sorry that I gave you this defeat

But really it was you who started all of this beef 

You think you is special but you're just deceived

And I had to prove it to you right on this beat 

If your cinematographer (Sachin) plays this right and you match the beat, I could envision this becoming crazy with the swell of the beat going up and then some crazy visuals would look so awesome. 


I’m griefing your toilet from here on out (minecraft)

And to think that you rap just for clout

Please put in some creeper explosions or the minecraft hurt sound


I’m lyrically destroying your pitchy rap

And now the audience is starting to clap (BARS)

Bars.



With a reflection of Nate’s diss track, I really think it has the capacity to overshadow Sachin’s bars, which was stuff like “When I come to your house, I make sure to come late!” Weak. Nate’s bars on the other hand, are built differently, a deviation from the norm, if you will. Nate I am so excited to see what happens on your diss track. I hope that you can put in some elements like imagery, enjambment, perhaps even a little bit of inverted syntax to truly cement yourself in history over Sachin.


Comments

  1. As a listener of Tupac as well as Biggie smalls and a big fan of Sachin Ramchandran myself, i think the complexities of his works simply went over your head. When he states, “when i come to your house, I make sure to come late” not only is he showing to nate how little meaning his friendship truly has to the point where he ceases to arrive to his house on time, but he simultaneously brings up a sort of ironic commentary about a common stereotype among indian americans. He specifically mentions, “I make sure” to signifiy that although he does fall under the stereotype, it is on his own volition and that this cultural stereotype is not what defines him. I highly recommend you give his work a relisten with a more open mind this time. I gaurentee you will surely find much that u missed the first time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much, Nathen Davis Jr! I see. I am a listener of 2Pac and B.I.G as well, and I these lyrical geniuses pull out a meter and rhyme scheme much more complex than Sachen Ramchandran's work. Then Mr. Ramchandran, I would like to inquire about the part, "I am fly like a kite." When I see this line, I immediately think of not only are you fly in the sky, you are also flying as free as the wind, while Nathen himself is caged, ironically, to not have a response to your diss track. What do you think about this analysis?

      Delete
    2. Great attempt you are halfway there! Let me break it down for you. It is clear that in this hypothetical, the kite is representing Sachin. However, what you failed to see ( you must read between the lines for this part) is that Nate Kovacs is implied to be the one flying the kite. According to a 2020 interview with Sachin Ramchandran, he mentioned his hatred for kites and how he always cuts his hand on the string when the wind blows. How does that tie into the song, you might ask? Well, he is implying that nates fingers have been cute by the flight of the kite and thus is unable to write a disstrack back at sachin. He is egging him on, as if to say “haha you are physically incapable of fireing back.” Truly an under appreciated artist of our time.

      Delete
    3. I see. Could you cite the interview please? I've seen every single interview and appearance of Yung Chins himself, but I cannot remember this interview. I'd also like to comment that your allusion to Nate the Great is very well done, but the entire diss track would be much more substantial if you were able to continue this allusion throughout the track, perhaps talking about Sachin the Munchkin. In this way, you are not only disrespecting Nate the Great, but formulating your own children's book about Sachin the Munchkin and capitalizing off of your disstrack.

      Delete
    4. I am rather confused as to why you are phrasing ur sentence as if I wrote the song. I am not Sachin (Although I wish I was) i am simply a big fan of his work. Also i fail to see any Nates who are great mentioned in this piece. The only Nate is Mr.Kovacs and as evident by Sachin’s work, isn’t very great.

      Delete
    5. I see. So you did not mean to make the Nate the Great allusion? Nate the Great is a series of more than two dozen children's detective stories written by Marjorie Weinman Sharmat featuring the eponymous boy detective, Nate the Great. He is a very great Nate, unlike this Nathen.

      Delete
    6. Oh i see. I was unaware of that as the only words I read are those Anthony Fantano’s subtitles as well as genius annotations. Story books bore me.

      Delete
    7. Of course. I'm flattered that my blog is interesting enough to amuse you.

      Delete
    8. It takes a great deal to make me read but i will never stand by while my idol is slandered.

      Delete
    9. I don't believe I'm slandering your idol, instead I think that I'm merely commenting on his music. It is simply my opinion, and I understand Yung Chins has hardcore stans, but I simply am not one of them. His music is mid. Period.

      Delete
    10. To that i will just say that you are dumb and biased. Period.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

POV of For Free? (Interlude)

How do relationships with parents shape their children’s personality?